Illustration: Maya E Shakur for FREDERICK & SOPHIE
It’s a new year, it’s a new zipa-dee-doo-dah-zipa-dee day! Adventure never ends and magic never stops. So, let’s be on our way!
When it’s a new year, you must absolutely make awesome new year resolutions. Here are ours.
1. Take a mammoth on a grand adventure to the center of the living room.
2. Befriend monsters and throw a monster party.
3. Imagine big, think of new ideas, and learn new things to tease and train our brain. When you use your imagination, you can come up with lots of possible impossibilities. And when you tease and train your brain, things that were once difficult become easier!
4. Don’t forget to take enough brain breaks. That’s how we stretch our brain muscle.
5. Try three new things.
6. We can only fail forward. So we must make lots of mistakes because mistakes are proof that we are trying.
7. Express how we feel because that’s how you get the creepies out of your system. And that’s the beginning of feeling better.
8. Express our thoughts and opinions because they matter.
9. Be curious and ask why a lot. We must also question old ways to walk, hop, and skip in new directions.
10. Don’t say, “Not.” Say not yet!
11. Focus on our own personal best and not compare ourselves to others because there are a gazillion different paths to the top of a mountain with different obstacles (like snow monsters, angry dragons, evil wizards with stinky feet) and helpful resources (like hot chocolate milk, pistachio ice cream, and balloons). We are all special in our own way and that’s awesome.
12. Make music. Air guitar to our favorite song. And sing lots of songs.
13. Listen to fairy tales before bedtime and dream big dreams about them.
14. Throw a pirate tea party and say, “Shiver me TEAmbers!” (pirate tea, pirate eclairs, and pirate dishes)
15. Eat avocado with a strawberry on top. And a scoop of chocolate chip ice cream next to it.
16. Somewhere inside all of us is the power to change the world. We’ll try to make a difference for the better. If it doesn’t work out today, we’ll try again tomorrow.
17. Walk on sunshine! And feel good.
18. Have good thoughts and make them shine out of your face like sunbeams.
19. Draw a rainbow on a cloudy day. Or color a magic house in the clouds!
20. Build a bravery ladder to reach fo the stars. Each small step up will bring us closer to the sky.
21. Remember that we are not what other people say about us. We are who we know ourselves to be, Frederick and Sophie!
22. Choose happy. Because every day may not be good, but there is something good in every day!
23. Steer our feet in any direction we choose. Today, we’ll walk to Neverland!
24. Be human together. Because together is where all the magic lives.
We hope that 2021 will be our and your best adventure yet! We must keep our eyes up, hearts up, minds sharp, and happy thoughts on full blast. Because anything can happen, anything can be!
Frederick & Sophie
Illustration: Maya E Shakur for FREDERICK & SOPHIE / Illustration Styling: Priscilla Obermeier
LEAVE A NOTE